Vegan Falafel with Salted Coconut Yoghurt, California Prunes and Mint
This recipe is perfect for when you’ve got friends round and you fancy a nibble, as the salted coconut yogurt is the perfect easy dip to accompany the falafels. My top tip for this recipe is using the family favourite, sage and onion stuffing mix, as it helps to bind the falafels together and creates a nice texture and flavour which complements the fruity California Prunes.
Servings: 3-4Prep Time: 20 minutesCook Time: 25 minutes
- 100g dried sage and onion stuffing mix
- 1 x 400g tin chickpeas
- 1 tsp dried mint
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 tbsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp Harissa paste
- 100g chopped California Prunes plus another 50g for garnish
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 250g coconut yogurt
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 red chilli
- 1 handful mint leaves
- 1 lemon
1. Pour the stuffing mix into a bowl, add 200ml of boiling water. Stir and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
2. Mix the salt and coconut yogurt together in a bowl and leave to stand for 10 minutes.
3. Place the chickpeas, mint, garlic, cumin and harissa paste into a food processor, add the stuffing mix and blend together.
4. Stir in the chopped California Prunes and season with a little salt and pepper.
5. Divide the mixture into 12 equal portions and, with wet hands, roll them into balls and place on a non-stick baking tray.
6. Brush each falafel with a little olive oil or lightly spray with an oil spray, then bake in the oven for 25 minutes at 160°C until firm.
To serve: Spread the salted yogurt onto the base of a serving plate, add the falafels and finish with a few torn up California Prunes, fresh mint and slices of red chilli. Serve with a slice of lemon to squeeze over the top