Spicy Lentil Chilli with California Prunes
Makes: 6Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon avocado or sunflower oil
- 1 small or ½ medium red onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 1 jalapeño pepper, minced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1¼ cups (240g) dry brown lentils
- 1 (400g) can diced, no-salt-added fire-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups (900ml) vegetable broth
- 12 California Prunes, finely diced
- ¼ cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro leaves and tender stems
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, and jalapeño and cook while stirring until the onion is lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Add the garlic, chilli powder, and cinnamon and cook while stirring until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add the lentils, tomatoes (with liquid), and broth and bring to a boil over high heat. Partially cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until lentils are just-tender, about 25 minutes.
- Remove lid, stir in the California Prunes, and cook while stirring occasionally until desired consistency, about 3 to 4 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Ladle into small bowls, sprinkle with the cilantro, and serve.