Spelt Pancakes served with Blueberries, Raspberries and California Prunes
Makes: 6Prep Time: 10 minutesCook Time: 10 minutes
- For the fruit topping:
- 100g California Prunes
- 100g blueberries
- 100g raspberries
- 1 vanilla pod
- 100ml water
- For the pancakes:
- 110g stoneground spelt flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp California Prune juice
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 125ml semi-skimmed milk
- To make the compote place the blueberries, raspberries and California Prunes into a saucepan.
- Add 200ml of water and a split vanilla pod. Simmer the fruit for 10 minutes, try not to stir the pan too much as you don’t want to break the fruit.
- Sift flour and baking powder into a bowl. Lightly beat the egg with the oil, the milk and the California Prune juice in a jug.
- Making a well in the centre of the bowl, gradually add the liquid mixture, using as fork or small whisk, bringing the flour in from around the edges. Continue to add the remaining milk until the mixture becomes a smooth and silky consistency, and drops easily off the spoon, but is not runny.
- Heat 1 tbsp oil/butter in a frying pan on a medium heat being sure not to brown, and when hot, add the mixture, one tablespoon at a time (making pancakes approx 6 cm in diameter). When you notice small bubbles appearing after a minute or so, flip pancakes over and finish off the other side. Serve immediately with one fruit compote.