Petrale Sole with Cauliflower, Roasted Grapes and Prune Chipotle Sauce
Puréed California Prunes improve the texture of sauces and provide a natural sweetness which balances the spice of this mole sauce.
Recipe courtesy of Chef Mark Liberman and the California Prune Board.
Makes: 4Prep Time: 30 minCook Time: 1 hour
- Petrale sole:
- 4 (115-120g) petrale sole fillets
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- Prune Chipotle purée:
- 1/4 cup diced Spanish onions
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup brandy
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup California Prunes
- 1/2 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 1/2 cup browned butter
- 1/2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cups cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh chives
- 2 tablespoons chopped, toasted almonds
- 2 cups grapes
- To prepare sauce, gently cook onions in oil over medium heat until lightly caramelised.
- De-glaze with brandy and cook to burn off alcohol. Add remaining sauce ingredients and cook gently for 25 minutes or until California Prunes are soft.
- Place in a blender and purée until smooth, season with salt and keep warm.
- While sauce is cooking, preheat oven to 200°C.
- Combine brown butter, nutmeg and a pinch of salt in a medium bowl. Add cauliflower and toss to coat.
- Spread in a single layer on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Roast for 20 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove from oven and toss with almonds and chives; keep warm.
- To roast grapes, reduce oven temperature to 175°C, Toss grapes, 2 teaspoons of olive oil and a pinch of salt together in a small bowl. Transfer to a parchment-lined baking sheet and roast for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove from oven and keep warm.
- To prepare sole, heat butter and oil over medium heat in a very large skillet.
- Lightly season fish with salt and dredge in flour, shaking off excess.
- Add fish to skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on one side or until golden brown.
- Flip gently and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more. Remove from pan with a slotted spatula.
- Spoon desired amount of California Prune Chipotle purée onto 4 plates and place fish on top.
- Reheat the cauliflower mixture, if necessary, and top fish with arugula leaves, cauliflower and roasted grapes.