Halloumi Skewers with California Prunes and a Tangy Lime & Coriander Salsa
Peter says: “here is my recipe for festive canapés or a light bite, I love the contrast the sweetness of the California Prunes offer against the saltiness of the halloumi cheese, all finished off with a tangy lime and coriander salsa”
Makes: 8Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 5 minutes
- 2 blocks halloumi cheese
- 24 California Prunes
- 8 wooden skewers
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- cracked black pepper to taste
- For the salsa:
- 1/2 red onion
- 2 limes
- 1 red chilli
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 handful fresh coriander leaves
- Cut the halloumi cheese into cubes and set to one side.
- Place the California Prunes and cheese on to the skewers alternating 2 pieces of cheese and 3 California Prunes on each skewer. (if you want to make smaller ones for canapés just cut the cubes smaller and cut the California Prunes in half).
- When you have finished all the skewers, place them on a tray and drizzle or brush with a little olive oil.
- To make the salsa, finely dice the red onion and place in a mixing bowl. Add the lime juice and using your hand squeeze the onion into the lime juice to help pickle the onion a little.
- Finely chop the red chilli and add to the bowl. Add the olive oil and mix together. Finally add the coriander just as you are about to cook the halloumi and California Prunes as you don’t want the lime juice to wilt the fresh coriander.
- To serve, grill the skewers in a pre-heated grill pan for 1-2 minutes on each side of the cheese, then transfer to a serving plate and top with the delicious tangy lime and coriander salsa.