California Prune and Hazelnut Polenta Cake
Provided by: My Cape Cod Kitchen for the California Prune Board
Makes: 8Prep Time: 15 minutesCook Time: 25 minutes
- 2/3 cup hazelnuts, reserve 2 tablespoons for topping
- 2/3 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/3 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup softened salted butter
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla powder (or extract)
- 2 eggs
- 2 x 150g containers plain Greek yogurt, reserve 1 for topping
- 170g chopped California Prunes, reserve 30g for topping (about 20 Prunes)
Preheat oven to 175°C with 25cm cast-iron skillet inside.
Add hazelnuts to a baking sheet and toast for 5 minutes, remove.
Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder and salt in a medium mixing bowl.
In another mixing bowl, combine butter, brown sugar and vanilla. Beat with an electric mixer on medium for 20-30 seconds then add eggs and beat an additional 30 seconds until well combined.
Add one 150g container Greek yogurt and beat just until combined.
Stir in dry cornmeal mixture by hand.
Remove skillet carefully from the oven (it’s hot!). Spray lightly with nonstick cooking spray.
Add batter to skillet and place in oven and bake for 20-25 minutes until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
Remove from oven and let cool slightly. Slice and serve with reserved Greek yogurt, California Prunes and hazelnuts.