Coq au Vin with California Prunes and Shallots
Makes: 4Prep Time: 55 minutesCook Time: 1 hour
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 12 California Prunes
- 5 garlic cloves, smashed
- 150g smoked streaky bacon diced
- 1 sprig of fresh thyme
- 350g chestnut mushrooms
- 200ml good red wine
- 200ml California Prune Juice
- 1 pint of chicken stock
- 2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- 8 free range chicken thighs skin removed
- 1 small bunch flat leaf parsley chopped
- 1 tbsp capers
- Heat a thick-bottomed casserole dish on the stove, add olive oil then add the shallots and cook until just browned.
- Next stir in the garlic, bacon and thyme and cook for 2-3 minutes until crispy.
- Add the mushrooms, turn up the heat and add the red wine, California Prune Juice and chicken stock.
- Add the chicken pieces and the California Prunes, bring the sauce to the boil and then simmer gently for about 1 hour or until the chicken is tender and cooked through.
- For a thicker sauce, remove the chicken once it is cooked and keep warm. Cook the sauce over a high heat for a few minutes until the volume of liquid has reduced. Return the chicken back to the pan.
- Mix the chopped parsley, vinegar, capers, mustard and olive oil together to create a dressing.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper and serve with crusty bread.
- Spoon over the dressing for a fresh finish.