Cheese Scones with Sichuan California Prune Chutney
Everybody loves a classic cheese scone & chutney. Well we’ve taken it to the next level: cheese scones with the most delicious California Prune chutney! The perfect match to take on your picnic. You’ll never go back to store bought chutney again!
Makes: 8Prep Time: 30 minutesCook Time: 20-25 minutes
- 450g self raising flour
- 125g butter
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 100g mature Cheddar cheese
- Salt & pepper
- 185ml milk (approx)
- 1 free range egg
- 1 cooking apple peeled and chopped
- 16 California Prunes (whole)
- 75ml cider apple vinegar
- 100g soft brown sugar
- 1 tsp sichuan peppercorns
- Pour the flour into a large mixing bowl and add the butter and seasoning. Using your fingertips rub the butter into the flour to create a crumbly texture.
- Add the egg, mustard, cheese and milk, then slowly mix together to form a soft dough that will hold its shape.
- Transfer the mix to a lightly floured work surface. Press the dough down and in from the sides with both hands to compress the dough and bring it together into a circle 4-5cm deep.
- Transfer the circle onto a non-stick baking tray. Brush the scones with a little beaten egg or milk and, using a serrated knife, score the scones into 8 portions.
- Bake in a pre heated oven 190°C for 20-25 minutes.
- While the scones are baking, place all the chutney ingredients into a medium saucepan on a low heat.
- Cook until boiling, then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and leave the chutney to cool before carefully transferring into a clean jam jar.
- Spread the warm scones with chutney – and enjoy!