California Prune Valentine Heart Chocolates By Paul A. Young
California Prunes, pecan and orange praline – a special chocolate of textures, layers and long intense flavours.
Makes: 12Prep Time: 45 minutes plus overnight cooling and setting
- For the filling – Ganache:
- 325g Valrhona caramelia chocolate
- 125mls milk
- 87g Valrhona pecan praline paste
- 35g light muscovado sugar
- 15 drops essential oil of orange
- For the California Prune purée:
- 100g of California Prunes (pitted)
- 4 tablespoons of warm water
- For the California Prune layer:
- 100g California Prune purée
- For the heart shell:
- 400g 66% Valrhona Caraibe couverture
- For the decoration:
- Metallic scarlet edible pigment
- * You will need a heart shaped mould for making individual chocolates
For the ganache:
- Bring the milk, sugar, pecan praline to the simmer and whisk well.
- Pour onto the caramelia chocolate and whisk until smooth.
- Add the orange oil and mix well.
- Allow the ganache to cool until it is fully cold. This will take about 2 hours.
For the California Prune purée:
- Blend together 100g of California Prunes (pitted) with 4 tablespoons of warm water.
To make the chocolates:
- Using an artist’s paint brush apply a small amount of the scarlet powder into the bottom of each of the heart moulds.
- Melt the chocolate in a bain marie to 55°c and allow to stay warm and melted for a couple of hours. This will ensure a shiny and smooth finish to your chocolates.
- Temper the chocolate and line each mould with tempered chocolate making sure you tap the mould to eliminate any air bubbles.
- Tip out all the excess chocolate to leave a chocolate lined cavity.
- Place this in the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Using a piping bag, squeeze a small mount of the purée into each lined heart.
- Then fill another piping bag with the cooled ganache and fill the heart to just below the top. Tap the mould to level.
- Leave the mould overnight to set.
- Now melt and temper the chocolate again and seal the bottoms of the chocolates by scraping along the mould to give a flat surface, sealing in all the ganache and California Prune purée.
- Allow to set for 30 minutes then turn the mould carefully to release the chocolates out of their moulds (they will only release if the chocolate has been correctly tempered)
- Keep in a cool dry place and enjoy within seven days