Almond, Orange & California Prune Pinwheel Cookies
Provided by: The Beautiful Balance for the California Prune Board
Makes: 30-35 cookiesPrep Time: 30 minutes plus min 4-6 hours' chilling timeCook Time: 10-12 minutes
- 1 cup plus 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch salt
- 14 California Prunes
- ½ cup slivered almonds
- Zest from 1 orange
- ¼ cup sugar plus 3 tablespoon set aside
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoon coconut oil
- ¼ cup coconut milk
- ½ tablespoon cornstarch
- Prepare a surface with a sheet of plastic wrap and another sheet set aside.
- Mix flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
- In a food processor, coarsely chop 6 California Prunes, slivered almonds, and orange zest together and set aside.
- Create a purée by adding 8 California Prunes with a few tablespoons of hot water and blending.
- In a medium bowl, beat together the California Prune purée, ¼ cup sugar, vanilla extract and coconut oil.
- Mix coconut milk and cornstarch and separate into 2- 2 tablespoons. Add mixture to California Prune purée.
- Add in dry ingredients half at a time and mix until combined.
- Gather dough together into a ball (dough may be crumbly but will hold together) and roll out the dough between the two sheets of plastic wrap.
- For more swirls, roll the dough thinner, for less swirls, keep the dough thick while rolling.
- Brush remaining coconut mixture over the dough leaving about an inch of a border.
- Press the filling evenly onto the dough and begin rolling the dough tightly from one long end to the other.
- Once rolled, wrap in the plastic wrap and allow to chill in the refrigerator ideally overnight but 4-6 hours is great too.
- Once chilled, preheat oven to 175°C and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Remove the log from the plastic wrap and using a sharp knife, cut into coins of your desired thickness.
- Place on your prepared baking sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes or until the bottoms are slightly browned.