- Preparation time: 02:25'
- Servings: 14
|400g||strong white flour|
|1 tsp||dried yeast|
|2 tbsp||olive oil|
|100ml||California prune juice|
|6||chopped California prunes|
|1/2 tsp||Chinese five spice|
|2 tbsp||tomato ketchup|
- Mix the flour, salt, yeast and sugar into a bowl, then add in the oil and milk.
- Mix the dough until it comes together into a ball, then transfer to a clean work top and knead for 10 minutes until smooth.
- Place the dough back into a bowl and cover with cling film. Leave the dough to prove for 1 hour to double in size.
- Meanwhile to make the sauce pour the California prune juice into a sauce pan with the soy, chopped prunes, Chinese Five-Spice and ketchup. Bring the sauce up to the boil and simmer until it reduces by half its volume. To finish the sauce add in the juice of one lime.
- To prepare the carrots simply peel and chop the carrots as finely as possible. Place them in a bowl and squeeze over the lime juice. Using your hands squash the carrots into the lime juice to help break them down a little and help the lime juice penetrate the vegetables. Leave the carrots to one side while you work on the rest of the dish.
- When the dough has proved and doubled in size scoop it out onto a clean work top.
- Dust the dough lightly with plain flour and roll out to 2cm thick. Using a 6cm round cutter cut out as many rounds as possible, you should get approximately 12-14 circles.
- Brush half the circles of dough with a little oil and fold over to create a semi-circle. Transfer the dough onto a lined baking tray and leave to prove for 30 minutes to double in size. Spray plenty of water over the buns and loosely cover with foil making sure the foil does not touch the bread.
- Place the buns into a pre heated oven 180c for 20 minutes.
- While the buns are baking place the chicken into an oven proof dish and pour the prune glaze over the chicken. Bake the chicken for 20 minutes until cooked, sticky and delicious.
- When the buns are fully baked but with no colour open the pocket of dough and place some of the sticky chicken into the centre and add the pickled carrot.