Guacamole with Poached California Prunes
Recipe developed by Jackie Newgent, RDN, CDN, Chef
- 8 California prunes, diced
- 1 cup 100% prune or apple juice
- 2 1/2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (divided)
- 2 Hass avocados, peeled, pitted, and cubed
- 1/4 cup finely diced red onion
- 1 small jalapeño pepper, with some seeds, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 clove garlic, minced (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- Add the diced prunes, prune juice, and 1 tablespoon of the lime juice to a small saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Let simmer until the prunes are softened and juicy, about 5 minutes. Drain the prunes through a mesh strainer and let stand in the strainer for at least 15 minutes to fully drain and cool. Reserve the juice for other culinary purpose.
- To a medium bowl, add the avocados, onion, jalapeño, cilantro, garlic (if using), salt, coriander, cumin, and the remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons lime juice. Gently stir (do not smash avocado) until just combined. Add the prunes and gently stir until evenly combined. Adjust seasoning, and serve.